Monday, March 15, 2010

"Nausea" by Jean-Paul Sartre; Lloyd Alexander, trans.

This month I planned to spend most of my reading time on French literature. This book was my first choice.

"Nausea" is well known as an Existentialist novel. I knew next to nothing about Existentialism, and didn't really take the time to research it before reading the novel. But it didn't matter. I read the book the same way I did any other novel.

The philosophy behind the work is pretty obvious; it drives the whole story. Most of the book takes place inside the narrator's head. His name is Antoine; he is a writer and historian. The novel is written as a compilation of journal entries, and there is an indication in the beginning that the journals were "found" rather than published by the author, so he might have been dead or somehow not responsible for the publication of his work. The events aren't all that exciting, but they all lead him to the conclusion of the meaninglessness of life. This climax is then followed by his realization that one is free to give life any meaning one wishes.

What I found impressive about the book is the writing. The book was so well written that I thoroughly enjoy it, despite it being heavy with philosophical ideas that I don't particularly care about. The book made a big impact on the readers when it was published in 1938, but the ideas that it presents are nothing new in our time. What made it so enjoyable to me is how well it is structured and orchestrated. Everything that happens has its purpose. As the character goes through his simple life, his thoughts continue to develop into a grand revelation.

Aside from being packed with ideas, the book is also a well conceived novel. There are many elements here that would benefit students of literature and creative writing. It might not have been so famous had it not been for the Existentialistic impact, but it is a good novel nonetheless. And since one of the important aspects of literature studies is looking at the work in accordance to the society, I would say that it is necessary to add this book to your repertoire.

No comments: