Monday, March 15, 2010

This and That

It's embarrassing how little I update these days.

I had such a big plan back in August to update more often and regularly. That has become impossible--or is it? Maybe I'm just lazy. Maybe I should manage my time better. Maybe--maybe--you'll never know.

I remembered earlier that one of the reasons this blog is important to me is that my blog entries are the only kind of notes I have on the books that I read. Many English majors like to write in their books, many actually write or type up notes and keep them in folders; I do neither of these things. I always think that I'm going to have to reread these books anyway if I'm ever going to do any work on them in the future, so why bother? Taking the time to do these things actually slows down the reading.

But the other side of my brain argues that perhaps it is important. It could be useful to remind myself of the impression I had on the book when I first read it, what I particularly liked or didn't like, etc. I have had some entries that I am really proud of, because I was really moved by the books and that made writing about them much easier and more fun. Unfortunately not all books move me in such a way.

I finished reading E.M. Forsters' "Passage to India" months ago, and have tried so many times to write about it. For some reason I just can't finish the entry, even though I enjoyed that one quite a bit. Maybe someday soon I will be able to.

Currently I'm taking a lot of time to read books about improvisation, since that is my new hobby/obsession. I probably won't be writing about them much since they don't really have much to do with my literature studies. But you never know.

No comments: