Thursday, October 1, 2009

Dish of the Month: Blueberry Crumb Cake


Every month I plan to cook a new dish and blog about it. I didn't realize the month was over so soon, so I'm a bit late. Anyway, here is a late entry that should have been posted in September.

This month I chose to try a slightly more complicated recipe. I have had this Martha Stewart's Everyday Food cookbook for years and had wanted to bake this blueberry crumb cake for a long time but have been turned off by the complicated recipe. It actually isn't complicated at all; it just has two parts, the cake and the crumb topping.

To save money I used frozen blueberries instead of fresh ones. Trust me it saves A LOT of money. I also used a little less sugar because my mother always complains about how everything I bake is too sweet. The topping was very easy and a lot of fun to make. I had never made a crumb topping before so it was exciting.

The result was amazing! The cake was moist and just a little sweet, which was perfect. The topping is a little salty, which I like. It might have been better with fresh berries, but I won't ever be able to justify such extravagance. I enjoyed it with a cup of hot tea. And this morning I had it with a cup of latte for breakfast. It's easy to make and impressive looking.

1 comment:

Grace said...

Mmmmm
Looks good!
Also - glad to hear the topping is salty. I hate desserts that don't have salt in them. It's one of the most important elements!