Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Shakespeare's "Henry IV Part I"

Every month I (try to) read and blog about at least one Shakespeare play. This month's play is The History of Henry the Fourth.

"Henry IV Part I" is the first history play of Shakespeare that I have ever read. (I know--it surprises me too.) The story is about those who conspire against him, and those who rise up to fight against the conspirators.

I expected to be bored, and was pleasantly surprised by how funny and entertaining the play was. It had so many farcical scenes that it read almost like a comedy, with a memorable character like Sir John Falstaff, who was just ridiculous. I was also captivated by Prince Harry "Hal", who gave up his careless ways to prove to his father that he was a deserving heir to the throne. While there was a good scene between Henry and his son, the play wasn't really about their relationship; while the conspiracy was the central plot, it wasn't elaborated and well executed (unlike, for example, the conspiracy in "Julius Caesar"). Henry was accused by his conspirators of breaking the promises he had given them, of forgetting those who had helped him to the throne, but his character was neither honored or condemned. The play, then, was not about the moral behind the story. I don't know what it is that history plays are meant to be, but nowadays when I go see a play that I haven't read before, it is simply to sit back and be told a story, and I can imagine this play being quite interesting on stage despite lacking the elements that might have made it a great work of literature.

(Did anyone notice how I just talked about literature in past tense?)

No comments: