Thursday, July 23, 2009

This and That


I recently finished reading, along with listening to the cast recording, "Assassins" by Stephen Sondheim and John Weidman. It is a musical about assassins of American presidents--some of them are based on historical figures, and some are fictional. I find it very interesting to read the books of Sondheim's musicals. He chooses such great materials to work with, and he too is a great writer. The way he uses the words to tell the story in songs is simply intelligent.

I find that going to the theater isn't just an absolutely entertaining experience, but also very inspiring. When I see a good show it makes me want to come home and write my own work. (I'm working on a play now that I'm really enjoying. It may not turn out to be a masterpiece, but I'm sure it is at least a bridge to something good.) Reading plays at home is great, but there is nothing like seeing things performed. Plays are meant to be seen and heard, not read.

This is the back patio of the lovely coffee shop wherein I spend most of my days

I am now reading "Writing: Working in the Theatre," which is a book that compiles quotes about the theater and play writing from many notable playwrights. It offers different insights into the theater lives, assuring readers that there is no one way to write or to be a writer. In my opinion the greatest advice is one that offers more than one way to look at things, because everybody is different.

I've also been enjoying "The Peanuts!" I got a copy of a collection from '67-'68 and it's absolutely fantastic. I wish I had read it as a child, but reading it as an adult is good also. Other things I've been reading are "The Blue Room," a play by David Hare, and "Suly," a novel by Toni Morrison. Both are great; I will probably write about them later.

No comments: