Sunday, February 22, 2009

Nella Larsen's Passing

My Women in Literature class has introduced me to some really interesting works that I would probably not have heard of otherwise. Among those is Nella Larsen's Passing. It is a story about Irene and Clare, two black women who are able to pass as white because of their light skin tone. Irene criticizes Clare for lying to everybody, including her racist white husband, about her race, while she herself does try to pass on some occasions. The story questions racial pride and choices: in a world where people of color have to endure so much prejudice and discrimination, is it wrong for Clare to choose to luck out?

I think Larsen writes brilliantly, despite much ambiguity that appears throughout the text. There possibly is a homoerotic undertone, as well as some parts, including the ending, that are not clearly explained. But I don't think these are flaws; if they're not intentional then they are divine accidents that make the text more complex. Larsen has definitely become my favorite writer because of this. I encourage everybody to check it out immediately.



Nella Larsen

No comments: