Thursday, August 5, 2010

"On the Road" by Jack Kerouac

Oh, where to begin. It took me way too long to read this book, and way too much effort. I didn't enjoy it at all, and think it is among some of the dullest books I have ever read. Seriously, what is there to like about the story? There isn't a single event in the novel that I think is even slightly intriguing. His prose is rich with descriptions about people and places that I cannot care less about. I kept expecting a Cyclops to show up. I've talked to several people who loved the book and asked them why they liked it. The answers were similar: they liked it because it is a fantasy, because we can't hitchhike across the country and go on adventures with barely any money in our pocket anymore, and because he goes to these interesting places and meet these interesting people. Well, interesting isn't the word I would use to describe anything in this book.

I wish I had enjoyed it more. It is on so many lists of great books that I feel like I should like it. I don't even like it in context. The last paragraph is gorgeous, though.

No comments: