Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"Distance" by Raymond Carver

A few days ago I was having a conversation with my friend Don about Raymond Carver. We expressed our admiration for his work, especially his ability to tell intensely painful stories in a simple writing style. Some writers receive praise for their flowery prose or the complexity of their language, but a series of small paragraphs compacted into a concise story, which gives the same effect as a punch in the stomach or a slap on the face, is no less of an achievement.

Once in a while between reading big books I would read a few stories from my Carver collection, "Where I'm Calling From: Selected Stories"--a classic. Having not done so in a while, and being reminded of it by the conversation, I pulled the book out of the shelf and started reading from where I left off--a story called "Distance."

In the story, a father recounts to his daughter the story of when she was a baby, on the night when her parents were kept awake by her crying. It is about the relationship of a young, impoverished couple and the emotional struggle in their relationship. It is also about the mortality of love, which is a theme that I have seen in his other stories. What I like about it is the way he portrays a troubled relationship while hinting that there is another side of the story that isn't being told. While all we see is two people fighting, we also know that there are days when they are happy together, even though he doesn't tell us about it--it is integrated into the fight, as if they fight to show their love and longing for each other. While I don't like that he portrays the female character as the hysterical mother, I feel he does justice to motherhood anxiety and the feeling of being left behind to do all the work alone.

I have no conclusion for this. It's a good story. Get the book. Read the stories.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

heeey do u know what the theme is for this story?

Anonymous said...

would you be in mr.Roberts class?

miss said...

Hi, do you have a soft copy of Where I'm Calling From: Selected Stories? If it's okay, can I ask for a copy?
Thank you :)

Jennifer K Dick said...

"Distance" is also one of my favorite all-time Raymond Carver stories. Perhaps because in so many ways it is both typical and atypical of Carver's style. It has his succinct dialogue and quick movements through physical space in his settings, but there is also a lingering and a slowness of something here--would you call it a more openly sentimental resonance, I might. IAnyway, it is nice to hear you speak here of this story as opposed to the very many wonderful works by Carver that are more often the focus of reader's adn zscholar's attention.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Roberts's class be like...

Anonymous said...

damn mister Roberts still at it assigning this story, I need a theme quick!

Chloe said...

My grandpa ❤

Anonymous said...

Yo I’m in roberts class what’s the theme

Anonymous said...

roberts gotta change up his assignments

Unknown said...

mr roberts taught me that deCISION = inCISION
deCIDE = suiCIDE = genoCIDE = etc etc etc
does this help

Unknown said...

dear current and future grade tens mr roberts was the goat please enjoy his class it was so memorable and good luck on your essays. also have fun on broadside later..!

Unknown said...

i miss mr roberts's class omg

Unknown said...

i did smthm smthn cherish ppl as my theme lol

Anonymous said...

what is the theme of this story quick before mr roberts beats me

Unknown said...

i love how mr Roberts just has a legacy of anxious students haha

yuore moether said...

the roberts supports spankings with a branding iron for bad childs who search up "theme for distance by raymond carver" on google

Anonymous said...

no help :')

Anonymous said...

lessgo bros i got a 6 on this essay