Thursday, January 7, 2010

"Antony and Cleopatra" by William Shakespeare

My friends, you might have thought that I have been slacking off. And you are right, I have been. The holiday season and the graduate school application process had been overwhelming me so that all the other things in my life had to be put aside. But now it's time to get back in the game.

While I have neglected blogging, I have not neglected my reading all that much. The Shakespeare play I chose to read last month as "Antony and Cleopatra," which I didn't finish until January 1st. What is there to say about this play? It takes place after the events in "Julius Caesar." It is a tragedy about how Marc Antony's affair with Cleopatra weakens his military image, which then leads to his downfall. To be honest, I didn't find the play even a little bit compelling. In fact I thought it was a bore. After reading a lot of his plays you begin to see the repetitiveness in Shakespeare's style. With powerful performances from the actors, this play could be moving in the theater. But on the page it's just bland. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood to read it.

I need to take a break from the historical plays for a while. This month I'll read a comedy, or perhaps a romance.

No comments: