Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Keeping The Balance!

If you, like me, have a lot of interests, you probably understand how incredibly difficult it can be sometimes to keep up with all the things you have to do, and to manage your time so that you can do all those things. Currently my top priority is to study classical literature, which includes reading the titles on my GRE study list and reading one Shakespeare play every month. But it is also important for me to continue studying theories, drama, French, and sociology, as well as to keep up with my creative writing. As I have only twenty-four hours a day, and a part-time job, AND a serious addiction to television, I often find myself freaking out about all the tasks I have created for myself. Sometimes I do envy people who don't have nearly as many ambitions as I do, as their lives much be much easier. It is important to note that the things that mean the most to me are the things for which I do not get paid.

Oftentimes I discontinue some of these things so that I can finish something else. If I'm trying really hard to finish reading the novel I'm working on, it is more likely that I would simply forget to study French. But most of the times the thing I tend to sacrifice is my creative writing, possibly because I find it less important. The truth is that if I really want my writing career to take off, I need to really keep at it! Another side effect from not writing is that it throws off my balance. There are days when I find that I just cannot concentrate on my reading. When that happens, I find that if I take a few hours to work on my writing, I can go back to the reading and be able to focus on it for hours. There is a certain balance I have to keep between reading and writing, and by doing both I can really do them both well.

Another thing that really helps me to balance things out is my improvisation class. I have been taking improv for ten weeks now, and it is brilliant. I love getting up on stage and making things up, gaining confidence, challenging my mind, and hanging out with these cool people. In many ways we all find that improvisation benefits a lot of aspects of our lives. I don't know if I will ever be an improv artist and perform in front on an audience, or whether or not I want to, but I know that by working on my craft, it really helps me in the other areas in life. So far it has helped me to get ideas for my writing, to enjoy whatever play I'm reading by offering me the ability to interpret the lines in many ways, and to be more comfortable and confident in my social life.

I always find myself forgetting how important it is to keep this balance. Maybe after writing this entry, I will be able to remember.

No comments: