Sunday, September 13, 2009

5 Monologues

I almost forgot to do this. I remembered it on Wednesday and thought I would wait until later in the week. I have been working on other writings, which was why I didn't want to take the time from that to do this. But now it's time. I'm trying to take this blogging thing super seriously because it's giving me what I need--a schedule. And with a schedule comes motivation. Even though I have to take my time off of doing other things to do this, it's actually motivating me to do those other things.

So here's this week's "5 Monologues" entry:

(This exercise is boring as hell. Hopefully by next week I'll find a different writing exercise to replace it.)


SUITCASE

I just bought a new suitcase. It's blue and old-fashioned, something often seen in old movies. I had wanted it for so long, so when I found one at an antique shop the other day for only $10 I just knew I had to buy it. I love suitcases; there was a time in my life when I traveled so much, and my suitcase was like my friend, my traveling companion. I had one that came with me from Thailand to the US, then I took it to several other cities in the US. It belonged to the family, however, so I never really felt like it was mine completely. But now that I just bought my first ever suitcase, it will be mine and mine alone. Wherever I go from now on it'll go with me. We will create new memories together.


SHOT GLASSES

I went to Chicago a few years ago on a choir tour. During the trip my friends went to a souvenir store where some of them bought shot glasses. At the time I didn't drink and didn't approve of underage drinking, so I made a scene about how drinking was bad and blah blah blah. My opinion had changed over the next couple of years, and shot glasses had become the one thing I always buy wherever I go. I never use them because I hate taking shots and never do it at home, but I still like collecting them. I keep them hidden in my kitchen cabinet, which really isn't the place for souvenirs. I'll find a new place to display them once I have a big enough collection.


SOCKS

During the first couple of years of my puberty, my feet sweated and stank a lot. I don't mind admitting that now because the problem had ceased years ago. I used to feel embarrassed about it. There were times when my socks were some of the most disgusting things in the world, so moist and stinky you can smell them from feet away. (Ha ha, feet away.) I had tried different brands of spray and powder, but neither worked. Until one day I tried rubbing hand sanitizer on them before I put on my socks. I had always thought the smell of hand sanitizer was too strong, so I thought it would work perfectly for my feet. The result was satisfactory. I continued to use this method for a while until I got lazy and stopped. But by then my feet no longer stank.


CELLPHONE

I used to want a cell phone so bad. When I was younger I used to make several phone calls a night to people who probably didn't want to talk to me. (I was a lonely and annoying little boy, it's safe to say.) Having a phone to me was a dream; it would give me complete privacy. Little did I know how much money was involved in buying a phone and using it. Many years later when I had stopped caring so much about it, my dad bought me a cellphone. It was amazing how quickly the device consumed my life, how it became a necessity, how naked I felt when I left it at home. I have had many cellphones since then, but now it is no longer important to me. Sometimes I leave it at home intentionally just so nobody could bother me. I'm not too attached to it anymore--I have grown out of it--and that is a good thing.


WATER

I drink a lot of water. I've been doing it ever since I was a child, and started doing it more in high school when I sang a lot. My voice constantly got sick in high school, and it would take a lot of time for it to heal because of all the singing I was doing. I thought that drinking water would protect the voice, but it didn't work all that well. I continued drinking a lot of water despite finding out over the years that it really doesn't help to prevent sickness or help me to get over a flu quicker. Eight glasses of water will do--more than that isn't going to make a difference.

2 comments:

boehnlei said...

i like this idea! is the prompt to write about 5 objects in your life?

Severin Wrights said...

You write down 5 words that come to mind and then try to elaborate them into something. It was so much fun the first time I did it, but after that I really hate it every time I do it!