Thursday, June 4, 2009

Another post about Shakespeare!

It's the weekend before the finals, hence I am compelled to procrastinate and update my blog instead of doing homework.

Drama is a form of literature; that's how I justify writing about play performances here. This blog, I just realized, should have been called "Lit. for Lunch." That sounds so much better than "Books for Lunch." And it makes more sense. A book is a thing, with no value in and of itself. It's what inside it, the literature, that makes it divine. But this is no time to change the name; I am here to talk about Shakespeare.

"Much Ado About Nothing" is one of my most favorite plays of Shakespeare because of its humor and witticism. But the reason it is very near and dear to my heart is because it was the first Shakespeare play I have ever read. I was but a sophomore in high school; and it was then that I started this love affair with the Bard and his works.

A few weeks ago I went to see a very small production of the play. It was the first time I had experienced the text in years since I was in a production of it in high school. I was completely enamored by the production, and I fell in love with the play once again. I gained insights into the heart of the play that I didn't before at a younger age. More than anything the play is about deception, and from it derives the comedy, tragedy, and irony that orchestrate the story. Lies can bring people together in matrimony, or it can destroy our honor and ruin our life. Such a theme is universal and timeless; it is certainly the reason the play could retain its popularity for so long.
The Re-Theatre's "Much Ado About Nothing"

And few weeks later I went to see another variation of the play done by the same company. This production uses the structure of "Much Ado" to construct a new story, and give birth to a very refreshing and hysterically hilarious performance. By using the same theme and updating the characters and other surroundings, it reaffirms the idea that, in any time and place, the essential truth about human beings remains the same. And by capturing that truth in art can artists offer insights into our souls, and create a work that not only speaks to us but gives us a better understanding of ourselves and makes us a better person in some way.

Obviously I could go on and on about Shakespeare, but I will stop now.

No comments: