Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Classics

For many reasons I think everybody should read the classics. But the term "classic" itself is pretty problematic. It's just as problematic as the term "masterpiece." How should something be defined as a classic? I don't think there's one right answer. In any case, I have read several works this summer that I consider to be classical. And here they are:

Photobucket

Macbeth by William Shakespeare. I have read and loved many of Shakespeare's plays. Macbeth, however, wasn't one of them. I thought it was far from being one of his best. But to be fair, I much prefer his comedies to tragedies.

Photobucket

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. I thought this one was beautifully written. I was completely enamored by it. Woolf is famous for playing around with streams of consciousness, and for being the suicidal genius portrayed by Nicole Kidman in The Hours. It took me a bit of effort to get into the text, but once I was there I never wanted to leave.

Photobucket

A Doll House by Henrik Ibsen. Ibsen is one of the masters of drama, and a revolutionary one of his time. This particular work discussed the inequality of gender roles with complex characters.

Photobucket

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. This one has definitely become one of my favorite novels. Sometimes you read something and it feels as if it was written for you and you enjoy every page of it. This is one of those novels for me.

Photobucket

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. This is a gothic novel. I thought the plot was thin, the characters not well developed, and the writing style unpolished. Like Shelly's Frankenstein--which I also don't like--this novella seems to indulge in its spooky elements and ignore the other aspects that would make the work a good work of literature like, I don't know, plot and characters? Needless to say I did not like this one.

Photobucket

Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton. I thought it was beautifully written, almost like music. It moves so subtly and has this melancholic tone all the way throughout. I simply loved it. I also recommend Wharton's short story called Roman Fever.

2 comments:

Grace said...

GOSH you did some impressive reading. I thought I was good, for reading Jane Eyre, Mansfield Park, and O Pioneers (have you read that? amazing...) But no, you win again...

I read other stuff but they weren't classics ;)

I love the idea for this blog, and the title. You should post random daily blurbs about books you love.

I'll be reading The Great Gatsby soon for my literary theory course... I'm really looking forward to it now!

Severin Wrights said...

I read O Pioneers! several years ago. Wasn't it sad when the hot guy was killed? I don't even remember his name.

I will be posting more. I'm reading a whole lot :)

PS. Look for the homosexual undertone in Gatsby. It's all over.