Saturday, September 20, 2008

Angels in America - Tony Kushner

Lately I have been reading plays a lot. They're quick and easy to finish, and they give me the escape I need from this harsh, cruel world. Among those plays, two of the best were two parts of the epic Angels in America a Pulitzer Prize winner by Tony Kushner.

Prior to reading these plays I have seen the HBO adaptation of it three times. I loved it so much despite how long it is (6 hours). I decided that it was time to actually sit down and read the plays. And they are fantastic.

Photobucket
"I usually say, 'Fuck the truth,' but mostly, the truth fucks you" - Millennium Approaches

Photobucket
"The white cracker who wrote the national anthem knew what he was doing. He set the word 'free' to a note so high nobody can reach it. That was deliberate. Nothing on earth sounds less like freedom to me." - Perestroika

There is much wisdom in these plays. All the main characters are some of the most complex, most compelling characters in drama. You read it and you want to know who they are. You feel compassion for them from the moment they appear. Reading these two plays gave me some of the most cathartic experiences.

Photobucket
A stage production of Angels in America.

Photobucket
A scene from the HBO adaptation.

Pretty much I love these plays, and so should you! Read them, and then check out the HBO adaptation.

No comments: