Monday, June 28, 2010

What I've been reading

In case you think I've been slacking off, I have in fact been reading a whole lot. Here are a few titles that have been occupying my time:

Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne
Having not spent my childhood in the US, I missed out on a lot of great literature for children that my friends grew up with. This is one of those titles. For me to read a book like this, I really have to be in the mood for it, and I was. As an adult I find this book charming. There is a lot of humor that derives from the childlike imagination of the author. It reminds of of what it feels like to be a kid. The characters are adorable and their tales entertaining. I find these elements in children's books necessary for the soul, and am glad I took the time to enjoy it.


All About Love by bell hooks
Bell hooks rubbed me the wrong way when I was first introduced to her work. It took me a while to realize that my judgment as a young scholar was neither valid nor worth holding on to. Many friends of mine had praised the greatness of this book to me, so I thought I should give it a try. The work is insightful and inspiring, and I enjoyed it almost thoroughly. Hooks discusses the common perception of love, and how people choose to express it and the consequences of their expression to themselves, their lovers, and their community. Toward the end the narrative wandered too far off into the endorsement of religion and the supernaturals, which I thought undermined the seriousness of the work. Her intelligence, however, is present throughout, and no matter what your view of love or how much you think you understand the subject, I think you will learn something from this work.

Wit by Margaret Edson
Wouldn't it be nice if we can all write our first play and win a Pulitzer for it? Maybe, but I'd rather not win any award but constantly get my plays produced throughout my life, unlike Edson. "Wit" is her first and only play to date that has been produced on stage, and I wonder what other tricks she has up her sleeves. I didn't find the work particularly genius. It is about an English professor who is dying of ovarian cancer. I'm sure it can be moving if performed well, but I don't find it a great work of drama. I thought the way Edson incorporates into the play her knowledge of John Donne and metaphysical poetry as well as the literary discussion of witticism both amateurish and uninteresting. There are works that make literary references in intelligent ways that make you admire the knowledge of the authors--this is not one of those works. If it were a musical, Andrew Lloyd Webber will probably score it. It wasn't a bore to read, but wasn't particularly a good read either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought that the film was beautiful. Emma Thompson is an amazing actress and her performance as Viviene Bearing made me sob. Dont know about the book though, have yet to read it. Being 16 the thought of dying alone is very scary.